[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Jan 13 02:18:02 UTC 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013, Anders Sandberg wrote:

[...]
> You don't need to add politics to the mix, but it certainly can make it
> even more volatile.

Believe or not, I sometimes dream about mixing it out of many things, but
as I wake up I always conclude this is undoable (or impractical) - since
to me politics is business by another name [1], and business is not going
away from us (with both good and bad consequences of this).

Also, I think that it's worth to always be wary of this biz-pol
connection. A number of times, people keep asking questions (including
this place) but otherwise seem to forget such connection exists, and
perhaps could hint some answers if researched. [2]

In other words, I don't think the solution to energy problem is going to
be merely by ways of technology. If we were this rational, and if this was
such one-dimensional problem, it would have been long solved, IMHO.

[1] Yes, this, connected to Clausewitz, gives us "war is a business behind
double mask".

[2] No, in spite of me being aware, no divination occured to me so far.
Still trying, but I'm short of live chicken so it will take a while :-/ .
Unless somebody sends me a spare virgin, please? A she-virgin, if that's
not a problem.

> Generally, energy markets seem to be a fine thing, except that demand
> and supply fluctuate separately, and there are hard limits on transfer
> ability and how quickly production can be stepped up or down. That makes
> the efficiency a bit iffy: the price feedback mechanism is too weak.
> Planned energy markets instead run headlong into the information
> problem.

Perhaps not all interested parties are involved in the talks. Or they
cannot reach common conclusion.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola