[ExI] Politicians made to stop lying?

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 31 14:35:06 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK

>...If they manage to extend the reach of the project, then it could be applied to virtually all environments, not just politics.
So when you hear the latest urban legend that happened to a friend of a friend, your smartphone immediately flags it as 'FALSE'.  And what if girls start fact-checking the lines fed to them by eager males????  ;)   BillK

BillK, think that one over carefully.  In the mating game, imagine what happens when either player is subjected to this device?  In that complex human endeavor, both participants want to hear lies, even if they know they are being lied to.  I can imagine a great Saturday Night Live skit on this.  Young couple, making the usual pre-copulation banter, while testing the new Truth-O-Matic.  Every time either tells a lie (bzzzt) the partner is pleased, but every truth (ding!) produces only annoyance.

If you think about it, that would pretty much be the way it is, ja?  Teenagers get confused when their opposite gender counterparts tell them the actual truth.  They don't recognize it because they don't know what actual truth sounds like.    They've never heard it.