[ExI] Politicians made to stop lying?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Jan 31 16:24:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, BillK wrote:

> Realtime Political Fact-Checking Becomes A Reality With WaPo's 'Truth
> Teller'

> <http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/29/realtime-political-fact-checking-becomes-a-reality-with-wapos-truth-teller/>

> Today, exclusively with TechCrunch, The Washington Post has announced a
> fully automated fact-checking program, Truth Teller, that displays
> "TRUE" or "FALSE" in real time next to video of politicians and pundits
> as they speak.

> Eventually, The Washington Post's digital team hopes that Truth Teller
> can automatically draw from wisdom of the entire Internet and be
> available for citizens on their smartphones to fact-check politicians as
> they hold backyard BBQs during campaign season.

Oh, BillK, you are a bad man. These are fundamentals of our civilization:

1. A whore will try to steal your wallet [1]

2. A priest will try to persuade you that God wants your money (but you
may keep a wallet, for a while at least)

3. A politician will try to lie you into doing things you would never do
if you got a chance to think on your own (they never say a word about your
money or wallet but chances are, you loose both and land your face into
pile of horse dung as a bonus)

Once you undermine any of these fundamentals, we all go to the dark side.
Because right now we are on a bright side. And we will defend it. This
machine has to go away.

[1] Of all three oldest professions, I revere whores the most, because at
least they work.

> The reality is, The Washington Post's project takes us one step closer
> to a place where democracy has never been. It could very well have
> profound effects on the most malicious rumors that feed an
> ever-increasingly partisan political discourse. The upside to a major
> news network such as Fox or CNN implementing a polished version of Truth
> Teller is probably well worth the risk.

Um, I beg to differ. Either one has TT in ones head or one is already sold
out to whoever paid more. You know that TT will work wonders on
commercials - all true, sir.

Some may think that there are places in a world where people would know
better. But I don't see it to be so.

> And what if girls start fact-checking the lines fed to them by eager
> males????  ;)

They already do. But things that people say don't have as much importance
as geeks would like to think they have. In case of mating, I'd say words
are a decoration on a cake. Actually, it's not only mating.

To make it short, neither truth nor logic matters. This TT will be either
fancy toy or commercial aid. If you think otherwise, then you are a geek
and your only friends are boring eggheads mumbling uncomprehensively
about "theory this" or "experiment that".

Ok, now I have to mumble a bit.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola