[ExI] good news bad news for germans

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Jul 1 08:56:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-01 02:17, spike wrote:
> The only thing that surprises me in all this is that we saw it coming
> fifteen years ago and did nothing. We just walked right into it.

I just came back from a workshop on governing slowly devloping risks at
the International Risk Governance Council, and I think this is generic:
it takes special conditions for enough of the right people to sit up and
take action.

In particular, it doesn't seem to work well if there are vested
interests on different sides. The Grand Banks cod fisheries and climate
change have turned into messes because of opposing interests, while Y2K
got fixed. Surveillance and constitutional erosion unfortunately also
had the multiple interests case.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute