[ExI] Who are the libertarians?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Jul 1 22:06:37 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-01 20:15, Eugenio Martínez wrote:
> What? What a definition...
>
> The hermeneutics of this word is hard, because in Europe, usually,
> saying liberal we mean "Neocon" or ultracapitalist while in USA you
> call liberal to the leftwinged.
>
> I think that liberal, in the european sense, is not compatible with
> transhumanism, nor with any branch of humanism.

Hmmm... so what does that make us here who think that Locke and Hayek
were roughly right, that individuals should be in charge of their own
lives, collectives do not have any moral value in themselves, and that
governments are dangerous imperfect tools that should be used
(carefully) only for the purposes to which they are suited?

Sure, there are plenty of disagreements on these ideas, but it seems
hard to argue that they are counter to transhumanism or humanism.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute