[ExI] 23andme again

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:35:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> What I don't know is what the legal
> system will do if a private citizen catches the bastard; probably nothing.
> Enforcement doesn't want competition in the enforcement business.

Perhaps not, but if you go to a district attorney with court-admissible
evidence, including DNA evidence, that does solidly prove that person
X did the crime, said DA might well sign off on an arrest warrant and
proceed.  It's not like he needs to share the credit for cracking the
case.

(Of course, the evidence does need to be court-admissible.  But in
the scenario we're discussing, you've done the research to find what
is admissible and have followed strict guidelines in collecting the
evidence you present to him.  This might not be all the evidence you
have, but it's enough to prove the case on its own.)

Not wanting competition is an organizational thing.  Laziness and
greed are individual things, and as such tend to trump organizational
attitudes when brought into direct conflict like this.