[ExI] 23andme again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed Jul 3 22:40:51 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty

>>... Ja.  I am thinking of the whole notion of volunteers working together,

> creating databases to catch rapists and child-murderers.  The nature
> of those crimes means they nearly always leave traces of DNA.  Even if
> rare, the impact those few have had on society is enormous, for it
> deeply influences the way children are allowed to move and play.

>...Is it bad that I'm thinking of foils to your plans?

No, it is good.  If there are new developments, everyone needs to know about
it.  The new-ish development is that paternity can be indirectly determined
by comparing sufficient numbers of cousins and finding their intersection.
If there is any possible way to take genome files off of 23andMe, everyone
needs to know about that, forthwith.

>...Suppose I swipe a copy of spike's gene sequence directly from 23andMe
computers.  Then I get a 3D printer, DIY bio hacking genetic materials
cooker, and now I have a patsy to take the blame for whatever crime I want
to place this material.  Ok sure, I don't have an complete match for spike -
but i'm not trying to clone anyone, just provide a conclusive enough match
against the database to create a fraudulent positive ID...

Good that you mention that Michael.  We need some kind of system to prevent
this kind of thing.  If my anticipated development actually occurs, that
medical insurance groups will begin cherry-picking based on DNA profiles,
then we need some means of preventing the insurance companies from inserting
signals into the genome file to convince proles they are at risk, so they
should pay more.  The insurance companies will take care of themselves to
prevent risk-markery people from borrowing the genome files of the
non-risk-markery people to get their insurance cheaper.

>...As clever as you think you will be catching the crooks, plan on the
crooks getting more clever too...

Ja.  The term crooks vaguely implies those who wish to steal.  I don't care
that much about catching them.  The ones I want is to catch are the violent
criminals and rapists.  I don't really perceive that set as getting any
smarter over time; if anything perhaps dumber.  Those who would steal by
fraud, ja, definitely getting smarter.