[ExI] Inmortality and overpopulation

Eugenio Martínez rolandodegilead at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 10:25:44 UTC 2013

Thanks to all of you.

I´ll no apologize for my english again. As the joke say: language
proficiency is important, selfconfidence is "importanter"

I didn´t realize that we will be able to modify some others fields of the
human biology. I have observed that forgetting that is a common mistake...
and I fell.

Thanks also for correct my idea of the menopause mechanism. Everything is
clear now :)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Eugenio Martínez <
> rolandodegilead at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some days ago, somebody among you - Can´t remember whom exactly - said
>> that, in a longeve society, a lot of the women who, nowadays, have their
>> sons before 40 because they don´t want to lose their opportunity,  would
>> stop having children before that age because they will have a longer
>> fertile period.
>>
>> Still, as you may know - and I hope not to be wrong - every month, in
>> women, a egg cell arises and some of them are discarded. When all the egg
>> cells are depleted, there are no new ones made, but the menopauses arrives.
>>

> As Brent noted, if longevity is achieved in practice, that will be because
> our control over biology is much increased.
>
> It is quite likely that, by the time we get there, it will be possible to
> "fix" a woman's ovaries (and related glands in the brain) to constantly
> produce the right hormones without actually releasing an egg.  Fertility
> only occurs when deliberate action is taken to release an egg cell.
>
> Further, you have the mechanism of menopause slightly incorrect.  A
> woman's ovaries contain thousands of proto-eggs, of which only a few
> hundred ever develop.  When these age enough that they stop responding
> correctly to hormones, the woman's hormonal balance is thrown off, and that
> causes menopause.  Even with the pill (which tricks the brain into thinking
> that ovulation just happened), that aging does not cease, so just because
> they're not being released does not delay menopause.  (Though perhaps
> menopause could be delayed by constantly taking the pill...)
>
> Of course, that is the same "aging" that we intend to halt.  It is very
> likely that any means biological immortality would either be preceded by,
> or very quickly lead to, a way to get these proto-eggs to stop aging.  Just
> a lifespan of at least 400 years, and keeping the eggs from aging (while
> still viable), would extend a woman's fertile years by at least 10x (12ish
> to 50ish = about 38 years; 12ish to 400ish = over 380 years).  And that's
> not getting into creating new eggs, which should also be simple by that
> point (or if not, well before the newly-extended fertile period is over).

OLVIDATE.DE
Tatachan.com