[ExI] sanity and connectedness, was: RE: list test

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 29 12:47:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:36:10PM +0100, BillK wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> > Always use a nym.
> > The word you're looking for is a darknet.
> >

> I doubt if it is as simple as that.
>
> For the 99+% on Facebook and Twitter, they *want* to be known and recognized.

It doesn't matter what they want, only what they get.

By failing to build/vote for privacy-protecting platforms
*and* in failing to engage into privacy-preserving behaviour
online they've chosen their destiny, and mostly without even
realizing it. Reality is cruel that way.

> If a Google Glass user looks at you and almost no data appears, then
> you become a very suspicious character, with all the disadvantages
> that implies. So you now have to go to all the trouble of maintaining

Oooh, I'm shaking in my combat boots.

> a normal user profile, full of innocuous comments and events (but
> still make it attractive and interesting). This is an ongoing task,

Sorry, that doesn't work.

> not a do once and forget about it task. So there is really no option
> but to broadcast your real (but sanitized) personality.

Show me your methods, and I'll show you how they don't work.

> Certainly, if you intend anything slightly naughty (that you wouldn't

Does being a terrorist qualify?

> want your mother or boss to know about) then use fake personalities,
> peer-to-peer, and Tor. But you can't do much there. It is the same as

You couldn't be any farther from the truth. I've been to Tor Hack Day
this Friday, and I'm very, very impressed. If you want to make a difference,
join the Light Side.

> having big gaps in your CV. Blank spaces in your timeline indicate
> things that you don't want to disclose.
>
> In the world of nudity, wearing camouflage makes you *more* conspicuous.

I don't mind. My tinfoil hat is bullet-proof.