[ExI] Space Gnats

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 01:31:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite apart from the fact that there probably won't be much mind
> transmission going on anyway, unless in emergency escape mode.
>
> As we are sending a mind image as data at light speed, these
> computronium minds would have to go into stasis at transmission time
> and wake up at the reception point. After the OK has been received
> back the original stasis mind can be erased. (If not OK, then
> retransmit).
> But even at lightspeed, it takes hours to get to the further out
> planets and a year to get to the Oort cloud. Due to the speedup of
> computronium minds, this effectively means being asleep for aeons. And
> that will probably not be acceptable for idle jaunts about the solar
> system.

Why do we have to erase the "original"?  People don't currently
procreate then self-terminate.

If you know the receiver will be subjective aeons removed from the
local day-to-day, why wouldn't you treat "going there" as a legitimate
reason to spawn?  The divergence of a thousand years should be ample
time to appreciate your 'offspring' as a close friend with his or her
own life, don't you think?  I like when someone across the Internet
shares an idea I've had - that would be easier if we shared life
experience to the moment I/we hit "send" to start a new adventure on
the other side of the galaxy.  (communications would effectively be
postcards from the edge in both directions)