[ExI] Dealing with transhumanism bashing

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 09:42:21 UTC 2013

Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG at verizon.net> wrote:

> My contention is that 96% of the existing human population would prefer
> to live the way they are now, with only modest upgrades.
> The only way to change that number is to apply force.

An odd (and rather disturbing) conclusion.

Did it take force to persuade most of the people on the planet to move from landlines to mobile phones?  Get internet connections? Start using electricity?  Ditch bronze in favour of steel?  Wear clothes?  Bang rocks together?  In every case, 96% of the population were probably happy with things as they were, and quite possibly scared of the new thing.  Until they saw how much better the other 4% were doing.

Ben Zaiboc

More information about the extropy-chat mailing list