[ExI] Rand Paul Filibuster

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 22:24:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are federal drones flying above
> Americans today. Whether any of them are armed I don't know.

The only ones that are armed, are tests and development projects.
The ones in actual use aren't armed.  While that could change...

> The department of agriculture has admitted to using UAVs. Allegedly
> for land use purposes, but if "land use" includes finding pot fields
> on public land, who knows where that could go.
> http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110927.htm

...it is as guaranteed as can be that, for instance, the Department
of Agriculture will not be operating armed drones - at least not ones
armed against humans.  At most, they'll be killing mosquitos and
such vermin.

It's one thing to cite the number of drones.  It's a completely
different thing to believe that most of them will ever be armed, or
that most of their users would arm them.  If you want to be worried
about government guns, look to the places that have always had
them: police and military.

Raising alarms because all these other agencies are using drones,
is like raising alarms about aerial photography because armed jet
fighters exist.  (Almost exactly like that, in fact, given the intended
use of most of these drones, and the differences between a drone
built to carry weapons and possibly be shot at vs. a drone built to
help farmers find infestations before they eat a lot of crops.)