[ExI] peak fossil by 2020

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Mar 30 09:07:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:01:19PM -0600, Kellycoinguy wrote:
> I think Eugen has not accounted for the transformative nature of cold fusion that will be unleashed by the inevitable collapse of the political power of big oil once peak oil has passed and the politicians no longer need to subdue the technology to help their greasy friends.
>
> I got this of a Web site that I trust at least as much as the oil drum, so it must be true!

Unfortunately, LENR-CANR is yet another fool's gold.
All the technologies that will come to play in the coming
30-40 years already exist (many have existed for decades
up to two centuries), and most of them as commercial
products.

The bulk of the transition volume will be done by
economies of scale. Disruptive technologies are possible,
especially towards the end of the transition.

However, now is the time to start spending 1-5 TUSD/year
world-wide. This is a lot of money? Of course. The longer
you wait, the more expensive it will get.