[ExI] dopers vs coffee drinkers quale contest, was: RE: Time crystals?

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed May 1 20:15:11 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:08 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] dopers vs coffee drinkers quale contest, was: RE: Time
crystals?

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

>>... Every time I look at this, the wheels seem to be turning to the
left...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_Dancer

>...If you know that there are some who see the alternate rotation you can
look for it.  (you're really looking into / debugging your own mind's
interpretation of your vision)... Mike

OK cool thanks Mike, I got her to spin either direction.  Now if I can just
get the lights to turn on, that would be even better.  She looks smoking
hot.

Ahem.  What we have done here with the original illusion

http://www.anopticalillusion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Optical_Illusion
_by_cybernation.jpg

and the proposal to write a script which would slowly rotate it to the right
is to give an example of a quale that can be quantized.  We could view this
illusion rotating at various rates to the right and measure at what rate it
appears to not rotate for each individual prole.  That gives a number, so
this quale can be quantized.  Cool!