[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon May 6 19:05:00 UTC 2013

Hi Stathis,

I hear you saying that you have proven, at least in your mind, that there
is a hard problem with no solution.  Is this necessity not the most absurd
and faithless necessity in your model?  It’s just a chunk of grey matter,
and we can quite reliably produce a redness experience and a greenness
experience and so on.  Why is it that you hold on to such questionable
rational so tightly, thinking it has been proven, and all that.  Yet have
no qualm at all at accepting that there is such a ‘hard problem’ and that
“it is impossible to make such a device” and so on?

If your logic is proving that something is impossible, which we know more
than anything – that it is not impossible, wouldn’t it be better to assume
you have a problem, somewhere else in your logic, than thinking there is
such a hard problem with regular old consciousness?

Brent Allsop