[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 10:49:22 UTC 2013

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> I don't know what a conscious experience is

I don't know how to respond when people say such things, except to say that barring any kind of after-life, consciousness is that thing that goes away when you die.

> Do you think a mechanical simulation of a tourbillon watch can't tell time?

> Of course it does.

Telling (indicating) the time and knowing the time are, I think, different things. A compass indicates which way is north, but I doubt that it actually knows which way is north. My compass is only an instrument. Instruments like watches and compasses help us know things, but they do not themselves know anything.

In any event, it is late here and time for bed. Until tomorrow, friend.

Gordon