[ExI] Digital Consciousness

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue May 7 17:14:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 , Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> How wonderful. Someone wrote some code that simulated a neuron.

 Yes, I would say that is very wonderful indeed.

> I've actually already done something like that

And I can write code that causes a computer to experience pain, it tries to
avoid having a certain number in one of its registers regardless of what
sort of input the machine receives, and if that number does show up in that
register then the machine will stop whatever its doing and immediately
change it to another number.

Emotion is easy but intelligence is hard.

> My digital computer is just an ordinary mechanical machine, not
> fundamentally different from my watch.

Gordon, perhaps you believe that if you repeat something often enough it
becomes true, but you do have a annoying habit of just stating what you're
attempting  to prove.

> My watch tells me the time, but I think it has no idea what time it is.
> Do you think it does?

Who the hell knows, how could I tell if it did? For that matter how can I
tell if Gordon Swobe knows what time it is?

  John K Clark