[ExI] living philosphers of import

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:42:19 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 12, 2013  Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Someone online just a moment ago asserted that most people in that forum
> could probably not name an any important living philosophers. I know of
> several and named them. I thought it would be interesting to ask this
> same question of my friends here on ExI. Who are the most important living
> philosophers? And why?

I like Daniel Dennett's books but if you're asking for living philosophers
who have made original and important philosophical discoveries I can't
think of a single one. However I can think of lots of living
non-philosophers who have made original and important philosophical
discoveries; James Watson, Saul Perlmutter, Brian Schmidt, Adam Riess, Vera
Rubin and Gregory Chaitin come immediately to mind.

  John K Clark