[ExI] living philosphers of import

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 12 17:47:31 UTC 2013

On 12/05/2013 12:44, Gordon wrote:
> Someone online just a moment ago asserted that most people in that
> forum could probably not name an any important living philosophers. I
> know of several and named them.
>
> I thought it would be interesting to ask this same question of my
> friends here on ExI. Who are the most important living philosophers?
> And why?

Hmm, take my comments with a grain of salt, since I am actually embedded
in the field and know them (bias galore). Plus, to some extent, this
will of course be philosophers I like:

Derek Parfit - I am not too up to date with his recent moral philosophy
work, but I think he has been seminal for a more relaxed concept of
personal identity. He also made important contributions to thinking
about rationality, existential risk and the value of the future.

David Chalmers - I can honestly not say much about his actual
philosophical contributions, but I do think he is crucial
sociologically. He turned consciousness studies into a subject of
interdisciplinary scientific study, and currently is turning singularity
studies into something regarded as worthy of proper consideration - even
the people who think it is bunk now have to try to respond to his
arguments with reason.

Nick Bostrom - Important because he has been the first widely recognized
philosopher to explain and argue in favour of transhumanism, because he
really showed the moral priority of existential risk, and because of him
partially starting the school of crucial consideration-focused
scientifically informed philosophy (and not just because he is my boss ;-)

Peter Singer - Most famous for his animal rights work, but generally the
big consequentialist today. His work on poverty and our moral
obligations is very influential. The efficient altruism community owes
much to him (and to some extent Nick).

Julian Savulescu - Important because of his position in the core of the
network of pro-enhancement bioethicists. Can't make up my mind about his
moral enhancement work, but as we learn more about the neurobiology of
decision-making and social cognition it is going to be really important.

Eliezer Yudkowsky - Yes, I regard him as a proper philosopher despite
lacking any formal academic standing (the famous greek beards also
started out as opionated people who talked with their followers; they
built academies in the end, not at the start). Maybe most important
because he was the first to dig into the AI risk problem, state the
friendly AI problem, and show that it was *hard*. Also, by starting the
rationality community he might have set off a very important
social/intellectual movement.

Some other people who come to mind: David Deutsch (quantum computing,
maybe constructor theory), John Broome, Gregory Chaitin (he is at least
listed on Wikipedia as a 21st century philosopher), Peter Sloterdijk,
Thomas Pogge, Toby Ord, Allen Buchanan...

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute