[ExI] voice activated elevator {8^D

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon May 13 09:26:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-12 22:39, spike wrote:

> Nothing profound here, move along, just a little techno-fun and games:
>
> http://dotsub.com/view/6c5d7514-5656-476a-9504-07dd4e2f6509
>
> {8^D
>
> I can imagine the Brits among us will have a chuckle or two.

Indeed, dear chap!

My brother and me spent a hilarious journey trying to use his fancy new
voice-controlled handsfree phone system in his car to call home. The
noisy road environment and Swedish accents did not work well with it.

I do wonder about how to get "natural language" interfaces to work
properly. I find Wolfram Alpha tremendously frustrating since it wants
me to phrase queries as questions rather than straightforward commands
("Plot the Gini coefficient of different countries against their GDP per
capita") - it has the data and plotting ability, it just gets confused
about interpreting my question. Here a command language would make much
more sense.