[ExI] More Fermi Paradox

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 15 08:16:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:54:04AM +0200, Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> > What if another civ has already done this?
>
> Then you are lucky. Others have done the job, otherwise you should.

This doesn't compute, if you want to maximize computation before
universe winds itself down. So you'd go for a hard relativistic
expansion as early as possible, in order to get hold of as
much spacetime as possible before inflation makes most of it
inaccessible. You'd then maximize the computation utilization
in order to render as many experience-moments as possible, until
the final curtain.

Aiming for anything less guarantees a half-assed job.

> Still, if their try is not good enough, you have to overwrite their probes
> front. As best as you can.

In case of omega-grade substrate there is no difference between
the expansion front, regardless of the point of origin.
It's a collaborative effort, not a fight. After conversion,
there's slow, random diffusion across volume, with sufficient
spatial diversity variation that the point if origin is also
irrelevant. So no extra incentive to fight, either, just regular
Darwin in motion.