[ExI] Fashion

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 15:01:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> Our computers and phones have cameras in them now.  It seems like we should
> be able to stand in front of it and have it use some set of criteria, then
> tell us ‘good to go’ or ‘lose that revolting charteuse tie,’ etc.  We could
> show it all our clothing and let it make suggestions depending on the
> occasion, which it knows too, since the occasion is written in the calendar
> app.  It would be Silicon Eye for the Straight Guy.

I have been thinking this thread is the genesis of an app.  The data
acquisition/encoding and algorithm would be considerable work to give
away for free (or $0.99/etc).  If you are going so far as to integrate
the current wardrobe with your events calendar to make suggestions
then you might as well allow clothing retails to compete for your
outfit:  you could swipe your way through a price-list or a
minimal-purchase sort.  The intelligence in the app would be able to
assess proposed items for compatibility with a particular outfit as
well as the rest of what you already own.  ex:  this is your 100%
perfect-match tie for today's occasion, but only 12% likely to be
reused among your existing clothes.  It might be worth selecting the
93% match for today with a 22% reuse probability.

Now this app has left the realm of "fashion checker" to become a
shopping application.  There a many more ways to monetize that.  The
candidate audience has probably doubled or tripled also.