[ExI] Fashion

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun May 19 08:28:08 UTC 2013

I worked with a company called fashiongenome that came up with a genetic
algorithm that allowed you to find clothing similar to styles that you had
decided previously that you liked. I don't think they are actively doing
business now, but it was an interesting concept. You could also pick movie
stars and such to follow, and your tastes were mixed with theirs. A kind of
Pandora for clothing.

The really nice thing is that once you measured yourself, it only showed
you clothing available in your size, all guaranteed to fit (including
shipping). The difficult thing for them was creating a searchable
descriptor (the "DNA" of the genetic algorithm) of features that allowed
the algorithm to work. I suppose that getting all of that clothing
described in the level of detail they needed might have been the nail in
the coffin, but they were also in one of these "fail fast" incubator
settings, so they may have just given up prematurely. I am pretty sure we
did with the company I was with in that setting.

-Kelly