[ExI] Warren Buffett is worried too and thinks Republicans are "asinine"

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 5 11:40:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-04 22:24, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net
> <mailto:spike66 at att.net>> wrote:
>
>     >...I see NOTHING wrong with the NSA spying on Angela Merkel. The only
>     thing they did wrong was allowing themselves to get caught...
>
>     Ja, I do see something wrong with the NSA spying on me however.
>     If I were Merkel, I suppose I would feel likewise.
>

> The constitution only protects the privacy of US citizens, and
> possibly visitors to the USA. Ms. Merkel is a foreign national who is
> not protected by the constitution.

Actually, visitors to the US (and US citizens returning home from
abroad) pass through a zone where they have very few constitutional
protections:
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/protect-yourself-intrusive-laptop-and-phone-searches-us-border

Meanwhile the Swedish constitution protects Swedish citizens. The law
also allows the FRA (the military intelligence agency) to monitor
communications crossing Swedish borders (remember that there are some
internet backbone trunks crossing the border). Isn't it lovely that the
9 million Swedes who stay at home are safe from eavesdropping? Sure,
there are 7.113 billion foreigners (and Swedes abroad) who are fair game.

No wonder Sweden is part of the "14 eyes" collaboration - the smaller
the country, the more of the world it is constitutionally allowed to
see... and then share.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/01/gchq-europe-spy-agencies-mass-surveillance-snowden
And as foreign minister Bildt responded, blanket surveillance doesn't
have chilling effects as long as it is performed discreetly.

I wonder how much China (or Saudi Arabia, the Mafia, or EvilCorp) would
be willing to pay for one small country in the collaboration to turn
double agent? Obama's blackberry was certified by the NSA... which might
be a bad thing in this case.

(Nej, kära FRA, jag implicerar naturligtvis ingenting om er. Jag är en
lojal medborgare och litar helt på er - den svenska konspirationen i
Oxford fortgår precis som planerat. Men jag undrar om vi kan lita på
norrmännen...)

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute