[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 8 12:13:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:03:18PM -0500, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> While I appreciate Eugen's priestly devotion to the Science of Knowing
> ["stuff"] I also wonder if Circles fail to dream of their higher

There is an effective infinity of things which could be,
so the only way to stay functional is to limit yourself
to what is currently known. Everything else is a self
denial of service, if people would be borderline consistent.

The problem with new physics is that this assumes that
from a potentially large population every single one must
transcend tracelessly, and recall every single instance
of already expansive yet subtrascendent tech that is already
expanding (you'll notice we already have probes which have
left our stellar system, the next generations of such
probes will have considerable onboard fabrication capacities).

Every single instance that escapes will punch giant FIR
blackbody holes into the cosmos which are detectable
across GLyrs.

There are no such holes, hence invisible pink unicorns
don't exist. QED.