[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 17:03:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Don’t worry too much about evidence yet; we are back to the brainstorming
> phase.

Eugen's comment about obeying laws of thermodynamics and also not able to
'leave this universe' makes me ask:
(and perhaps sharing my ignorance in the process, smarties please forgive)

In Edwin Abbot Abbot's "Flatland" Square is sure of the order and nature of
existence.  Sphere overcomes Square's certainty when he introduces the
concept of a 3rd dimension.  Of course we always ignore Time as a dimension
for the sake of progressing through a story, but we'll handwave that away
too.

Anyway, if Flatland is mapped in Spaceland at { x, y, 0 } and the rules of
Flatland have "universal law" that hold true for every point {x,y} then it
is with the special exception that those rules are valid in Spaceland when
the z dimension is exactly 0.  The "even-more universal law" of Spaceland
has a freak anomaly at z==0 that is a life-sustaining plane.  If the life
equation in Spaceland has a divisor by z, then that special condition
(mathematical singularity?) is "interesting"

So if (as did Square) we looked at Spaceland to see if it contains this
"interesting" feature, the "even-more universal law" might be a special
case of a higher-dimensional land.  What can we say about the capabilities
of the inhabitants of that state of being?  I feel it's hubris to make
predictions of post-singularity existence (pretty much by definition, eh?)

While I appreciate Eugen's priestly devotion to the Science of Knowing
["stuff"] I also wonder if Circles fail to dream of their higher
dimensional selves.  (admittedly, there's plenty to do in the here & now
that is pretty important; energy starvation, et al )