[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 7 15:53:17 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:06 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.For any intelligent tech-enabled species, thinking and inventing are fun.

>. Why are there no teenagers in kindergarten?

Mike clearly you have not visited your local high school for a while.

>.Perhaps civilizations with the power to overcome interstellar distances
and lightspeed delays simply move out of this neighborhood.

Ja, or moved into their own nieghborhood: they turned inward.  If a
civilization figures out how to super-organize matter, as our own species
has done more and more in just the past few centuries, then mastery of that
could cause that species to forget other stars as far away and irrelevant.
The problem I find with that theory is what I call the Shakespeare anomaly.
To high schoolers, Shakespeare is far away and irrelevant.  But a few of
them find his stuff very cool and interesting.  I know, I was one of those
oddballs.  So a Shakespeare species would be an odd one which discovers
nanotech and turns inward (inloads) but still thinks there is something
worthwhile in listening to, and perhaps transmitting to, species in
transition, such as modern humans.

So let us assume the transition time from interstellar EM signaling
capability to nanotech is generally short, a century or two.  If
tech-transitioned species are rare, then Shakespeare oddballs are even more
rare, so it shouldn't surprise us that we haven't seen one yet.

>.  Maybe 8.8e9 earthlike planets is just an incubator and we've just about
hatched?

Ja, we would be in that short transition period.  Problem: the NASA findings
increased by four orders of magnitude the number of expected Shakespeare
species.  So that news is evidence against the whole notion.

>.Sorry no, I don't have any cosmology evidence to support this idea.

Don't worry too much about evidence yet; we are back to the brainstorming
phase.