[ExI] The Republican Party Isn't Really the Anti-Science Party

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Nov 13 06:42:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-13 03:50, spike wrote:

> I have been following hurricanes for years now after being told they
> would get more frequent and more violent.  This year has been eerie
> quiet in the Atlantic.  Do let us hope that doesn't point to global
> cooling.  Warming would be OK, cooling, not.

Hurricane numbers are a bad indicator for climate: you get very few data
points even in a high hurricane year.

Consider flipping a biased coin, trying to estimate how biased it is.
But you only get 2-10 flips each year. Worse, you are trying to tell
whether the bias is changing.

[ The variance of the estimate from N trials with pN heads is
(1-p)/(N+1)^2 (it is a beta distribution). going from 2 to 10 flips
reduces the variance by a factor of 0.67, which is just a 19% reduction
of standard deviation. If you want to reliably detect a change in p on
the order of 10% you will need a lot more data - at least more than 20
data points. ]

I am always annoyed at how many people confuse weather - the stochastic
outcomes - with climate - the underlying parameters.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute