[ExI] The Republican Party Isn't Really the Anti-Science Party

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 04:58:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> [...]

More like these sorts of stories about why the temperature has been steady
for the past 20 years and how climate change scientists are on the
defensive about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/opinion/a-pause-not-an-end-to-warming.html?_r=0
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2485772/Global-warming-pause-20-years-Arctic-sea-ice-started-recover.html

The Daily Mail piece has a graph that shows the nature of the problem faced
by scientists that predicted one thing and then an entirely different thing
actually happened. This takes the edge off of the shrillness of people like
Al Gore in the 90s. Apparently, we aren't all going to die in a fire storm
in the very near future. Though they claim it will start up again in a
while... yawn. Show me the real data, not what your computer model shows.

I have been following hurricanes for years now after being told they would
> get more frequent and more violent.  This year has been eerie quiet in the
> Atlantic.  Do let us hope that doesn’t point to global cooling.  Warming
> would be OK, cooling, not.

Once again Spike, you aren't with the cool kids. The cool kids now say
"Human Caused Climate Change" not global warming. That way whether the
temperature goes up, down or stays the same, it's our fault.

> >…Does that do anything to dampen anyone's position about it? Well, not
> really. It is only one study…
>

> Kelly didn’t you get the memo?  The science is settled on that.

I've always remained slightly skeptical of it on the basis that the science
is really hard. I have been consistently against the idea that the
government can fix climate change with tax games that send money from the
rich to the poor (countries and people).

> >… But if it is true, others will eventually back it up, and we can throw
> out one of the biggest impediments to mutual understanding there is today.
> –Kelly
>

> My fondest hope is that we focus attention where it belongs: how to deal
> with increasing cost of energy before that becomes a bigger catastrophe
> than that monster typhoon that hit the Philippines.

Of course, the climate change crowd will point to that and say, "isn't it
better that we have smaller Atlantic storms than this sort of monster in
the Pacific?" to which I answer, "Shit happens man, get used to it." And if
you are in the Philippines this is indeed very shitty.

-Kelly