[ExI] The Republican Party Isn't Really the Anti-Science Party

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 13 17:24:49 UTC 2013

>. On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Republican Party Isn't Really the Anti-Science Party

On 2013-11-13 03:50, spike wrote:

 I have been following hurricanes for years now after being told they would
get more frequent and more violent.  This year has been eerie quiet in the
Atlantic.  Do let us hope that doesn't point to global cooling.  Warming
would be OK, cooling, not.

>.Hurricane numbers are a bad indicator for climate: you get very few data
points even in a high hurricane year.

>.I am always annoyed at how many people confuse weather - the stochastic
outcomes - with climate - the underlying parameters.-- Dr Anders Sandberg

Ja, agreed.  Most of us here do understand the difference between weather
and climate.  This is a special problem we see specifically with the global
warming debate, because it is tangled in politics, which is subject to
change as fast as the weather.  Note in the internet archives how political
agents used the super destructive hurricane Katrina  for political leverage
back in the peak days of global warming interest of 2005 (by predicting more
and stronger hurricanes) compared to the internet traffic on the same topic
today.

We can only hope to see a similar interest level in sustainable energy
sources as we saw in 2005 regarding hurricanes.