[ExI] Dark Matter

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 18:52:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  On 2013-11-13 10:11, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
>

>>  But it's not incomprehensible... Just slightly out of our daily
> experience level.
>

> Kind of. I just arrived in Plzen in the Czech republic (world capital of
> the letter 'Z'!) I have been here before, I know where it is on the map,
> but I do not *feel* like I am 1,051 kilometres away from home. I *feel*
> that walking to the university from where I am now is a long walk. But I
> cannot *feel* how much longer walking to Oxford would be compared to
> walking to Prague, despite a sizeable difference.

I can't argue with how you feel, as they are your feelings. Just out of
curiosity though, what's the longest distance you have walked Anders?

> I can't say that I have ANY feeling for Great Britain, despite having
> flown over it once or twice.
>

> Exactly! The American Midwest is an abstraction or TV setting for me,
> despite having seen it ("flyover country") from the airplane window many
> times.

And I have driven across America many times. While I don't have the same
feel for anyone who has done the two to three month walk, I do have some
kind of feel for it.

-Kelly