[ExI] Millions of Lines of Code

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Nov 14 15:19:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Omar Rahman wrote:

[...]
> Thousands of plans x thousands of insurers x 50 state versions x
> thousands of procedures might do it but that's data and not code. Are
> they counting the data set as part of the code base? I honestly have a
> hard time imagining how they achieved such bloat. I guess it's a failure
> of my imagination because somehow they seem to have done it.

Don't try too hard to understand it. We become what we understand, so if
you go too far on the bloat side, the bloatness will stick to you... and
all your coding from that time on will become bloat.

Chances are, they heard about SQL injection and decided to go without
database. So, they took a data and generated code from it, full of IF and
CASE statements. And GOTOs, because without GOTOs no web service would be
complete...

Kind of, the treatment happened to be more deadly than disease.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola