[ExI] Millions of Lines of Code

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 18:17:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Omar Rahman <rahmans at me.com> wrote:

> Hi Kelly,
>
> There is no doubt that the website is a bloated piece of $#!+. The only
> question for me is how they achieved such epic levels of bloat and
> craptasticness.

Bureaucracy.

> The suspected size of the code base displayed on the site you gave puts
> this thing in a league of it's own. But seriously, how did they manage to
> make it so big?

Cut and paste coding on an industrial scale? Or perhaps, since this is a
government project, they did something stupid and told the developers that
they would be paid for every line of code... hehe. That would do it.

> Thousands of plans x thousands of insurers x 50 state versions x thousands
> of procedures might do it but that's data and not code.

Apparently, that is what did it. All tied together with some kind of web
services calls.

Also, they must have used at least 100 million lines of code to
program Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/11/14/debbie-wasserman-schultz-i-meant-what-i-said-were-running-on-obamacare-next-year/

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/23/cnn-blowing-up-healthcare-gov-and-starting-over-still-looking-like-their-best-option-say-more-tech-experts/
Maybe they should throw the whole damn thing out and start over by hiring a
software architect. I am guessing that a lot of the code is intended to
implement various things in the 1500+ page Obamacare law, which is
unpardonably large for a law to begin with, but who knows?

Are they counting the data set as part of the code base? I honestly have a
> hard time imagining how they achieved such bloat. I guess it's a failure of
> my imagination because somehow they seem to have done it.

Here are a couple of pithy quotes from Slate:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/10/21/healthcare_gov_problems_why_5_million_lines_of_code_is_the_wrong_way_to.html

 If the site really contains 500 million lines of code, they say, *that’s a
strong hint that the programmers involved are doing something wrong.*

Jeff Atwood, co-founder of the coding question-and-answer site Stack
Overflow, wrote in