[ExI] the Ross Ulbricht (aaka: Dread Pirate Roberts) defense fund

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 22:08:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I think a site like the Silk Road should be legal, but specific illegal
>> activities that occur there should be investigated by the authorities.
>>

> I'm mildly surprised they didn't leave it in place as a honeypot.  "Hey
> everyone who wants to commit crimes: go here!  It's safe!  It's anonymous!
> A majority of those advertising the worst services aren't actually the
> authorities, honest!"
>
> But perhaps there was too much political pressure to shut it down.

Or perhaps they knew it would be replaced soon... almost immediately as it
turned out.

Think of it this way... the authorities exist to grow the power and size
and influence of what? The authorities, of course. Any organization wants
to grow and increase their own power. The policing forces are no different
than any other organization in this way. So do they get the politicians to
give them more money by letting Silk Road get big enough to be a REAL
problem before they try to tackle it?

-Kelly