[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 16:56:01 UTC 2013

I understand that the FDA can provide counsel to prevent fraud.  That's a
nice feature when it's implemented as an approval certification.  It's some
kind of bullying when that agency has the power to issue C&D orders.

In the interest of protecting the people, we should make sure WebMD only
sends information to licensed doctors.  We should make sure Home Depot only
plays HowTo videos to licensed carpenters and plumbers.  Stock information
should only be available to licensed bankers and legal information should
only be available to licensed lawyers.  Of course only politicians should
know anything at all about what goes on in government, right?

We must also do everything we can to prevent the general public from
accessing incomplete or potentially inaccurate information from unreliable
devices.  Forthwith, any "love tester" found on boardwalks and traveling
carnivals must be impounded.  In this same vein, advice columns (in print
or online) must also be shut down.  Bartenders may also solicit inaccurate
advice so should be sanctioned against speaking about anything other than
food and drink orders.  Parents also tend to provide information to
children that may be deemed inaccurate.

Essentially the flow of information of any kind needs to be stopped.  It's
simply too difficult to control public memes if people are allowed to "talk
amongst themselves."

**** 2013.11.27 Adrian wrote
Rake the FDA over the coals for what it actually does do badly (and doesn't
do that it should), but let's confine the accusations to what's actually
going on, please.  There's more than enough without exaggerating or making
stuff up.

(It's possible that you might have simply misread, but it seems at least
some people seem to be willfully misinterpreting what's going on here.)
****

I may have misread.  I don't think I'm willfully misinterpreting though.  I
would admit to reacting while underinformed.  However by the time I feel
qualified to say something warranted to be beyond dismissal the whole
scenario would likely have played itself out.

Can you explain how information about my own genetics that I am buying from
a company that provides this service should be blocked by the FDA?  I feel
that we are either entitled to transact this business (in which case the
FDA is interfering with my transaction) or we the people are too
stupid/irresponsible to act on our own (in which case the FDA nanny is
keeping us safe)  Honestly, if you can enlighten me I'd appreciate the
effort.