[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 18:02:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> ### The real issue is that the FDA imposes enormous arbitrary costs
> (measured in hundreds of billions of dollars) on me and other
> consumers by demanding those, as you say, "simple" proofs of accuracy.

The provided justification is that, absent these proofs, collective costs
to said consumers would be far higher, since each consumer would
independently have to verify what's accurate - and, more often, suffer when
their own research fell short.

This was easy to demonstrate when the FDA was founded, across all things
the FDA had jurisdiction over.  These days, there are some cases where that
basic assumption is no longer valid.  Further, while the costs are not
completely arbitrary, they are in many cases far higher than they could be
for the same degree of accuracy.

And, aside from that but no less importantly, it is none of your, or
> the FDA's business how I use my resources, whether I spend them in
> Vegas or on inaccurate genetic testing.

It is if you use your resources in a way that is destructive to other
people, such as by crippling yourself then demanding the rest of us make
accommodations to let you continue living normally.  Most people who do
this, do the self-crippling part involuntarily (such as by acting on bad
information).