[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 28 18:27:38 UTC 2013

>. On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Subject: Re: [ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki
<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

### The real issue is that the FDA imposes enormous arbitrary costs
(measured in hundreds of billions of dollars) on me and other
consumers by demanding those, as you say, "simple" proofs of accuracy. Rafal

>.The provided justification is that, absent these proofs, collective costs
to said consumers would be far higher, since each consumer would
independently have to verify what's accurate - and, more often, suffer when
their own research fell short.  Adrian

Idea: set up a government agency to collect patient feedback on the efficacy
of a medical device, or anything medical:  pills, potions and lotions.  Let
them collect the data from anonymous contributors, and any negative reaction
to the medications, have them fill out questionnaires and so forth,
especially valuable if the patients are willing to volunteer what other
medications they are taking.  Then let the FDA do its data-mining magic to
sift the data and find oddball correlations, such as taking cortium
hydrochloroplazinate while on paxil and drinking excessively causes
increased risk of masturbation-related injury, that sort of thing.

They could create a publicly available database with efficacy ratings of the
various pills, potions and lotions.

What we could do is to let willing proles be the beta testers, then let the
FDA decide which medications work for what ailments.  I recognize the risk
of intentional corruption of the database for profit and all the other
risks, but it would likely be an improvement over what we have now, which is
a system with crazy high costs to prove what might be a very subtle signal.