[ExI] Another step towards uploading

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Oct 6 17:28:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-06 00:07, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> ### Max wrote about the choices between vitrification vs. fixation
> recently (or was it somebody else at Alcor?). The problem is that
> suspension usually takes place under non-optimal conditions - instead
> of live perfusion as in the case of animals used for the scans you
> mentioned, the cryonauts are treated typically after many hours of
> warm ischemia and this means the perfusion can be rather poor.
> Freezing here at least stops further damage. Keeping a poorly perfused
> brain at room temp makes it turn into a mush.

The problem might be that fixing brains has the same problem. In
reality, you will need to proceed more or less like for cryosuspension:
wait until the patient is declared dead, and then start biostasis
protocols. In fact, I expect cryonics people to be the best kind of
people to perform the initial stages of a fixation procedure - they know
their way around distributing chemicals in a deanimating body. Lab
histologists are a little bit too used to being able to force the
deanimation themselves, and to small mammal brains :-)

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute