[ExI] Another step towards uploading

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 14:18:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
> wrote:

> You need to take into account the damage introduced during mechanical
> slicing. Even a single bad slice (torn, crushed, happens all the time, as
> anybody who spent hours at a microtome can attest) could scramble the
> long-distance fibers

I'm no expert but just from my experience of using a meat slicer I would
think mangled slices could be a problem if you were trying to make the
slices super thin, but I'm talking about slices on the order of a
centimeter thick or maybe even more, and only about a dozen slices. And if
the blade was sharp and the gap between the slices narrow it should be
possible to deduce what those long-distance fibers did in that missing gap.
And whatever method was used wouldn't slices ensure better distribution of
cryoprotective or chemical fixative than entire uncut brains? Wouldn't
better preservation of well over 99% of the brain be worth the slight loss
of tissue from the gaps between the few slices? I would think so but as I
say I'm no expert and am just asking questions.

  John K Clark