[ExI] Meditations on the million year mind.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 06:43:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> You seem to have to made up your mind to ignore the only
> methods which can provably, potentially save your ass, today.

Except:

* They haven't been proven.  It won't be proven until people start being
uploaded (or "coalesced", or whatever you choose to term it) and this is
observed to work.  Until then, there is always room for the theory to be
missing something.

* They won't save my ass today.  Maybe some decades from now, if they work
- and if they can be made to work in time for me.  They didn't come soon
enough for many who came before us; if this won't work before I need it,
then I have no incentive to invest in it.