[ExI] [Doctrinezero] Fwd: [London-Futurists] Books to review in London Futurists HOAs

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 15 12:39:04 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded message from Zero State <info at zerostate.net> -----

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:30:01 +0100
From: Zero State <info at zerostate.net>
To: "doctrinezero at zerostate.is" <doctrinezero at zerostate.is>
Subject: [Doctrinezero] Fwd: [London-Futurists] Books to review in London Futurists HOAs

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Wood <davidw at deltawisdom.com>
Date: 15 October 2013 13:09
To: London-Futurists-announce at meetup.com

Dear Futurists,

This Sunday (20th October), another meetup in the open online series of
London Futurists Hangout on Air takes place. It'a a panel discussion about
issues raised by the recent novel "The Transhumanist Wager" by Zoltan
Istvan. See *the event
page<http://www.meetup.com/London-Futurists/events/140297242/>
* for more details of that meetup, and the team of distinguished panellists
on this occasion: Giulio Prisco, Rick Searle, Chris T. Armstrong, and
Zoltan himself.

*Note 1:* a couple of people have asked me for more details about the
concept of "Transhumanist" mentioned in the title of Zoltan's book. To
provide some background, I've created a couple of pages over on the main
London Futurists website:

   - *Transhumanist
declarations<http://londonfuturists.com/2013/10/14/transhumanist-decalarations/>
   *: This contains a couple of short videos and some background material
   (including the 1957 definition of the word "Transhumanism" by Julian Huxley)
   - *Technoprogressives and
transhumanists<http://londonfuturists.com/2013/10/12/technoprogressives-and-transhumanists/>
   *: A short video about varieties of different futurists, including (you
   guessed it) technoprogressives and transhumanists).

*Note 2:* Depending on how quickly you can read, there's still (just about)
enough time to download and read through *Zoltan's
book<http://ziventures.com/TranshumanistWager.html>
* prior to the start time of the meetup (7pm UK time, i.e. BST = British
Summer Time). That way, you'll probably enjoy the discussion more fully
(though it's not a requirement to read the book before participating in the
meetup).

*Note 3:* We'll be using the Hangout On Air 'Questions' feature, which mean
that people watching the meetup from *my Google+
page<https://plus.google.com/104281987519632639471/posts>
* will be able to raise questions for answer by the panellists, and to vote
on questions raised by other viewers. This should help create a better
sense of a connected community jointly participating in an online event.

*But which books should feature in forthcoming London Futurist HOA panel
reviews?*

*This Google Moderator page
<http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=20f355>*contains a number of
suggestions. I invite you to get involved in voting
suggestions Up or Down, and to raise your own suggestions.

In casting votes, criteria you may like to consider include:

   - Is the book well-written? Was it a pleasure to read?
   - Does it raise important topics of interest to futurists?
   - Is the book something you would be happy to recommend to many of your
   friends that they should read it too? Or would you have reservations?
   - Is the book already a key part of discussion among people seriously
   interested in the future?

You can also leave comments explaining your reasons for voting other
suggestions Up or Down, or for having mixed feelings about a particular
book.

// David W. Wood
Chair, London Futurists

--
This message was sent by David Wood (davidw at deltawisdom.com) from London
Futurists <http://www.meetup.com/London-Futurists/>.

 Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 <#141bc05642eecd75_> |
support at meetup.com

--
Amon Kalkin
WAVE: Positive Social Change Through Technology

----- End forwarded message -----