[ExI] Who wants to live forever? Maybe you can...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 20 09:09:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 08:39:19PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> I am aware of the life insurance approach. I have extremely significant
> cash flow issues at the moment. Paying for dinner comes before paying for
> cryopreservation... :-)

I'm not yet signed up, either. I hope to sign up with our
own organisation, which is probably a decade away.

In case you have some spare time, I recommend you organize a group
of volunteers in your area, and complete a transport technician
training as well as build up some first responder capability.

> That being said, even if I had the money, I have not entirely bought into
> cryopreservation for myself, even though I totally support others having
> the option and I believe it is a reasonable thing to do and real science.
> It's not that I don't believe future technology may be able to retrieve
> cryonauts, I'm just not entirely convinced that enough of the
> microstructures are preserved with current approaches. In addition, I'm not

The hardest validation we have is viability, and there has been some
quite promising work on hippocampal slices.

> entirely sure I want to experience the future in a big jump. It's scary

No jump, expect to be sandboxed from reality for a while, until
you're ready.