[ExI] Who wants to live forever? Maybe you can...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 20 17:18:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 01:28:49PM +0100, Ben wrote:

> That's one of the biggest problems with cryonics.  Just as we have
> no practical way of telling if we live in a simulation now, anyone

There is a simple way: it's too expensive for such an exercise
in pointlessness, unless the real reality is entirely different
from what is being rendered. In that case we never had a history
of 'outside', but are entirely synthetic.

Could happen, but there's a much simpler explanation.

> waking from suspension will have no way of telling that they're
> /not/ in a simulation.  That sandbox could be indefinite, and
> totally convincing.

What would be the incentive? There is an incentive in reintegration.
Continuation of a prior history in the same boring old context is
certainly sufficiently cruel and unusual.