[ExI] The Actual Visionary of the Future

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 25 13:30:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 02:21:35PM +0200, Tomaz Kristan wrote:

> Me, too! I know LAR is in a disagreement with the light speed principle.
> Eventually they'll meet in a duel.

LAR is not just limited in time, but also in scope. Exponential
processes are the exception, rather than the rule. And that
exception never lasts long.

The trouble with cornucopians like Kurzweil is that they
cheerfully and cherrypickingly apply LAR to anything under
the sun, and never admit it when reality disproves them.

This is the opposite of science.

We've had a number of such people, which turned out a liability
to transhumanism in the end. Our handicap is already sufficiently
high, we don't need such monkeys on our back.