[ExI] How to build a happier brain

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Oct 28 22:32:18 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-28 22:14, John Grigg wrote:
> How would you redesign the human brain, so that people could lead
> happier, more vibrant lives?

His book sounds like it makes a lot of sense. Whether that is enough to
actually help, is of course another matter!

Building the right practical or cognitive habits is a lot of work. We
need to streamline the process (but presumably not make it too easy,
because then we might get instability).

I would love to know how to manipulate the mood setpoint of the brain.
Surely the right kind of thinking can change your stable mood a bit, but
genetic and other innate factors seem to be more powerful. One of the
things I am hoping to figure out using personal genomics is why I have
my bright mood setpoint - and then we can start figuring out how to fix
it in other brains.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute