[ExI] How to build a happier brain

Mark Walker markalanwalker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 23:30:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2013-10-28 22:14, John Grigg wrote:
>
>> How would you redesign the human brain, so that people could lead
>> happier, more vibrant lives?
>>

> His book sounds like it makes a lot of sense. Whether that is enough to
> actually help, is of course another matter!
>
> Building the right practical or cognitive habits is a lot of work. We need
> to streamline the process (but presumably not make it too easy, because
> then we might get instability).
>
> I would love to know how to manipulate the mood setpoint of the brain.
> Surely the right kind of thinking can change your stable mood a bit, but
> genetic and other innate factors seem to be more powerful. One of the
> things I am hoping to figure out using personal genomics is why I have my
> bright mood setpoint - and then we can start figuring out how to fix it in
> other brains.
>
> --
> Dr Anders Sandberg
> Future of Humanity Institute
> Oxford Martin School
> Oxford University

Anders, I think you are one of the "happy giants" I discuss in my book:

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-People-Pills-Blackwell-Public-Philosophy-Series/dp/1118357477

The proposal is to reverse engineer what you and your genetic kinder have
thanks to the genetic lottery and  put it in pill form for the rest of us.

Dr. Mark Walker
Richard L. Hedden Chair of Advanced Philosophical Studies
Department of Philosophy
New Mexico State University
P.O. Box 30001, MSC 3B
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001