[ExI] Global cooling: Arctic ice caps grows by 60% against global warming predictions | Mail Online

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 06:53:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
> I had solar on my own roof. It was an utter failure. I was lucky not to have
> killed myself knocking the snow off. When the $3000 batteries failed after
> only 4 years of use, the system was rendered useless. There was so much
> electronics overhead that the cost of the panels was less than 50% of the
> cost of the overall system.
>
> I had much more luck with my gasoline generators.
>
> Granted, you are probably talking about using the grid as your battery, and
> that's fine until the grid fails. There are plenty of gloom and doom grid
> people out there, you might get along with them Eugen.

In this case you are arguing on the basis of a statistical sample of one.
Because your solar system had problems, that doesn't make solar power
a bad idea.

Solar power seems to be spreading rapidly in the US, using the grid as
backup when needed.
(If the grid fails, you will have bigger problems than boiling a
kettle for coffee). :)

See:
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-10/solar-panel-is-next-granite-countertop-for-homebuilders.html>
Quote:

Solar panels are the next granite countertops: an amenity for new
homes that’s becoming a standard option for buyers in U.S. markets.

At least six of 10 largest U.S. homebuilders led by KB Home include
the photovoltaic devices in new construction, according to supplier
SunPower Corp. (SPWR) Two California towns are mandating
installations, and demand for the systems that generate electricity at
home will jump 56 percent nationwide this year, according to the Solar
Energy Industries Association.
“In the next six months, homebuilders in California and the
expensive-energy states will be going solar as a standard, and just
incorporating it into the cost of the house like any other feature,”
Jim Petersen, chief executive officer of the PetersenDean Inc., the
largest closely held U.S. roofing and solar contractor, said in an
interview.