[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 15:14:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> In terms of oil volume, flat plateau (net energy decline) has been with
> us since roughly 2004.

In 2011 the USA exported more gasoline and diesel than it imported for the
first time since 1949, and in 2012 the USA saw the largest yearly increase
in oil production since oil drilling started in 1859.

> Total peak fossil and fissible is 2020,

Natural gas production has increased dramatically just since 2007 and is
now the highest it has ever been by far. And we will run out of thorium
about the same time the sun runs out of hydrogen.

> The only useful wind (with wortwhile EROEI) are large 1 MW installations,

Such wind installations are very useful, to tax lawyers. A engineer would
never recommend building such a thing, but a lawyer would.

> if everybody suddenly decides to buy a few measly 100 Wp overnight [...]

If it became that popular then environmentalists would organize protest
marches and sing songs against wind power because it disrupts the movement
of global air patterns, kills birds, and is ugly and noisy.
Environmentalists never met a large scale energy source they didn't hate so
wind power, or anything else for that matter, is OK only if it remains
tiny, uneconomic and impractical and doesn't come anywhere close to
actually solving the problem.

> Renewable deployment rate runs short a factor of 100,

Because environmentalists refuse to even consider renewable energy sources
like thorium reactors.

> Our time has ran out. We've robbed outselves of all alternative choices
> which were available
> to us in the past.

Well if its too late and nothing can be done then continuing to blab about
it is utterly pointless. Let us enjoy the little time we have left before
the environmentalists get what they want and we all freeze to death in the
dark.

> WHY DO YOU THINK I BOTHER WRITING THIS CRAP?

I have no answer to that.

  John K Clark