[ExI] scifi search

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 09:05:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Getting lots of people on watchlists might of course be a fun way of
> reducing the efficiency of any surveillance system. The bottleneck for them
> is not getting the information (we can safely assume it is all snarfed up),
> but to have analysts trying to tell who is just cheeky, paranoid or actually
> up to no good - or has switched between the categories. That is costly,
> especially since if you try to automate it you will get machine-generated
> blind spots that might bite you later.

The solution for government is to treat everyone as a possible terrorist.

That's why cameras watch and record everywhere. Look at the personal
assaults you undergo to get on a plane. You can be stopped and
searched if you look 'odd'.
"Papers Please!" Smartphones are tracked and recorded, etc. etc.

The USA now has over 1 million names on the Terrorist Watch List.

Small town police in the USA now have tanks and grenade launchers.
Why? Because the public are enemies of the state who have to be
controlled by force.

The main problem is the continual creeping loss of freedoms. More and
more cases where you have to get permission, certificates, passes...
from officials. Behaviour becomes more and more restricted until the
pressure cooker blows.

BillK