[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 02:30:27 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 , Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> The evidence so far seems to be that they do commit fewer crimes (there
> might be a bias here that they don't get caught or that most smart crimes
> are nonviolent),

And smart people can get the law changes so that the things they want to do
are no longer crimes. And smart people are more likely to find a way to get
their opinion on what is moral and what is not printed in ethics text
books.

> students with poorer cognitive ability cheat more on tests

Smart students have no pressing need to cheat, dumb students do.

> smarter people are more faithful to their partners

Is it their smartness that made them faithful? The parasitic Schistosoma
Mansoni Worm is faithful to their partners for life, but chimps and
Bonobos, the most intelligent animals next to humans, are not.

> >  smarter people cooperate more in prisoners dilemma type games,

But is cooperating always a smarter thing to do than defecting, and is
cooperating always more moral than defecting?

> and they tend to be more long-term oriented

That is neither moral nor immoral.

> ethics books are stolen more often from university libraries

Interesting.

> But this is mainly a problem for people who think that teaching ethics
makes people nicer;

If teaching ethics doesn't make you nicer then I see no reason why being
taught ethics would either. So what's the point?

  John K Clark